Friday, March 10, 2017

The Edge of a Knife

Reading Challenge 2017: book written by someone you admire. When I think of "on the edge of a knife", I usually consider a perilous situation where someone is in danger and could possibly be cut or fall off the edge.  After reading Robin Reardon's A Secret Edge, I now think of it as a metaphor for a way of living.  Jason Peele, the main character, had an edge to him.  He was a good runner and possible track star.  He also had an edge as in "sharp" personality, being quick to anger and lashing out with violence.  The "secret edge" the title refers to is his hidden knife that he keeps to protect himself from bullies.  I also see the "secret edge" as Jason's ability to notice others who are like him.  Some might call it gaydar, but in essence, it is all the subtle clues we look for in others like us.

Even though Stonewall and the riots surrounding the movement are further back in time than when I came out, it was a "knife" for many who were tired of being bullied and wanted to be recognized and respected.  I remember my own "secret edge" as feeling that I could sense others who were like me, but after of being on the knife's edge, I was worried about falling off or being cut. I was always looking for clues, hints, suggestions from people who I could trust with my secret or at least accept me for who I am.  This long journey would culminate in me finally telling my parents when I was 21, in much the same way Jason, A Secret Edge's main character, experienced.  I thought I had lost someone.  My mother knew.  My family supported me.  It was also a time where I discovered that friends can be better that lovers.

I would love for young people to understand that it was not always easy being who you are.  We have come a long way, yet the journey continues.  Five years ago I would hear my students say "that's so gay" meaning stupid or disparagingly.  I have not heard it once this year, which is definitely a leap in a positive direction.

I have enjoyed every novel written by Robin Reardon, and yes, I own them all.  I am now sad that I have read the last one in my Reardon Library.  Well, except for the Kindle novel Guiseppe and Me, which I plan to read during Spring Break.  I learned about Hindu philosophy and Gandhi, the importance of nonviolence versus cowardice, and coming to terms with who you are as a person.  I always learn something interesting in her novels. Like one of my colleagues says, wouldn't it be fun to teach a class where students read and share books they choose?  The Reardon Library would be on my shelf and suggested for everyone to read and learn from.

This book fulfills my Reading Challege 2017 topic "Read a book by someone you admire".  I definitely admire Robin Reardon in that she can write such wonderful novels with colorful characters who are very real in my mind, as well as teach a teacher something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment