Wednesday, June 28, 2017

One Ring to Rule Them All

Reading Challenge 2017: book with over 900 pages. I read The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien back in high school, and having seen the movies many times, have a very different perspective. There is so much more that the book has that the movies do not. They are endearing and full of wisdom and quotes that will long be enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoyed rereading this novel as I was tossed back to high school when I first learned of Tolkien's magical world. Everything I had read came back to me, like an old friend visiting in so many years.

I used to write notes to myself in Tengwar, the language of the elves, and practiced writing the elvish letters.  While the dwarvish runes were easier to translate, the elves always had a special place in my heart.

I now noticed that there were very few female characters in the novels.  Eowyn, Arwen, Galadriel, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, and Rosie Cotton would not stand up to the Bechdel Scale these days.  I cannot imagine many females wanting to read these books though.

After watching the movies numerous times, my perspective has changed greatly.  The characters are solidified in my mind through the actors in the movie, not the descriptions in the books.  The special effects and soundtrack add immensely to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment